Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) posted December 2020 sales of 249,601 vehicles, an increase of 20.4% on a volume basis and up 7.5% on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis compared to December 2019. For calendar year 2020, TMNA reported sales of 2,112,941 vehicles, a decrease of 11.3% on a volume and a decrease of 11.9% on a DSR basis.
Toyota division posted December sales of 211,378 vehicles, up 22.9% on a volume basis and up 9.7% on a DSR basis. For the year, Toyota reported sales of 1,837,900 vehicles, down 11.9% on a volume basis and down 12.4% on a DSR basis.
Lexus division posted December sales of 38,223 vehicles, up 8.2% on a volume basis and down 3.4% on a DSR basis. For the year, Lexus reported sales of 275,041 vehicles, down 7.7% on a volume basis and down 8.3% on a DSR basis.
Along the way Toyota again achieved noteworthy results:
- Toyota is the number one retail brand for the 9th consecutive year
- Number one manufacturer of alternative vehicle sales for the 21st consecutive year
- 2020 total hybrid sales up nearly 23%; Toyota division hybrid sales double
- With the addition of the all-new Sienna, Venza and Mirai, TMNA now offers 14 hybrids, electrified and fuel cell vehicles in its line
- Camry best-selling passenger car in the U.S. for 19th consecutive year
- RAV4 best-selling SUV in the U.S. for 4th consecutive year
- Tacoma best-selling small pickup for 16th consecutive year
- Lexus GX posts yearly sales gain of nearly 10%
- Lexus December sales of 38,223 vehicles represents the best month in 2020
- Lexus luxury utility vehicles best-ever December sales of 29,578 vehicles