The Tunnel to Towers Foundation* will receive $2.5 million from the sale of the first retail production unit of the Hummer EV Edition 1 at an auction on Saturday. Established to honor the memory of Sept. 11 first-responder Stephen Siller, the foundation builds mortgage-free, accessible smart homes for catastrophically-injured veterans and provides free homes for Gold Star families and families of first responders killed on duty.
“We are thrilled with the auction results and what the proceeds will mean for the Tunnel to Towers Foundation,” said Duncan Aldred, global vice president of Buick and GMC.
The GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 is the expensive and lavishly-equipped launch model of GMC’s first full-electric vehicle, with a white exterior and , marketing babble alert, “unique Lunar Horizon interior.” It is powered by General Motors’ new Ultium platform and is designed to be an off-road vehicle with:
- An Off-Road Package with 18-inch wheels, 35-inch-OD tires, underbody armor, underbody cameras1 and more
- Adaptive Air Suspension with available Extract Mode2 capability
- Four-Wheel Steer with CrabWalk3 diagonal-drive functionality
- Three-motor e4WD propulsion system (including torque vectoring) with GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque
- 800-volt DC fast charging4 capability at any of the new 350-kilowatt high output public DC fast charging stations5
- Watts to Freedom6 for maximum acceleration capability, including a GM-estimated 0-60 mph in approximately 3 seconds
- The latest version of Super Cruise7, an optional driver-assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads and featuring new Lane Change on Demand.
Reservations for Edition 1 models are full. Reservations for the rest of the available models are being accepted at gmc.com/HummerEV. Initial production begins in late 2021, at GM’s Factory ZERO Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center8 a facility retooled now devoted to electric vehicle production. Future production vehicles out of the factory will offer zero emissions if you ignore how the power is produced.
- Environmental About Face – General Motors Ditching Internal Combustion Engines by 2035. Carbon Neutral by 2040?
- GM’s Factory ZERO – First U.S. Plant to Install 5G
- New St. Clair Magna Plant to Supply GMC’s Hummer EV
- Don’t Hold Your Breath Waiting for the New Hummer EV
- GMC Hummer EV – Its First All-Electric Truck
- GM Needs Range, Battery Cost Cuts to Speed EV Plans
- GM Doubles Down on EVs in Bid to Win Global Race
- Electric Vehicles – a Virus That Can’t Be Controlled?
*Tunnel to Towers Foundation – More information at www.tunnel2towers.org.
1 Safety or driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times. Visibility, weather and road conditions may affect feature performance. Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety limitations and information.
2 Late availability. Model-year 2022 Edition 1 models will require a no-charge software update. Standard on model-year 2023 Edition 1 models.
3 Limited to low speeds. Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety limitations and information.
4 Requires use of publicly available 800-volt DC fast chargers.
5 Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature.
6 Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety limitations and information.
7 Even while using the Super Cruise driver assistance feature for compatible roads, always pay attention while driving and do not use a hand-held device. Requires properly equipped vehicle, active Super Cruise subscription, working electrical system, cell reception, and GPS signal.
8 Of domestic and globally sourced parts.